Mutual transformation of affirmative and negative expressions
There arc affirmative and negative expressions both in English and in Chinese. Some English words, phrases or sentences of affirmative expression may be transformed into Chinese words, phrases or sentences of negative expression, or vice versa.
A.From affirmative into negative(正說反譯）
(1)If the weather holds a couple of days,the plane will take off.
(2)Such a chance was denied me.
(3) We may safely say so.
(4) The subversion attempts proved predictably futile.
(5) It would be most disastrous if even a rumor of it were given
(6) His refusal is not final.
(7) This problem is above me.
(8) It was beyond his power to sign such a contract.
(9) The guerrillas would fight to death before they surrendered.
(10) He'd rather die standing than live kneeling.
(11) The islanders found themselves far from ready to fight the
(12) When Philip missed the last bus, he was at a loss to know
what to do.菲利普誤了最后一班公共汽車，茫然不知該怎么辦。
7. Clauses or sentences
(13) He was 75, but he carried his years lightly.
(14) My guess is as good as yours.
B.From negative into affirmativo(反說正譯）
1. He carelessfy glanced through the note and got away.
2. Don't luse time in posting this letter.
3. The significance of these incidents wusn't lost om us.